As the nights draw in and the weather becomes cold and wet, we find the best way to warm up is with a delicious hearty soup. At Ali Miller London, one of our favourites is butternut squash, carrot and lentil soup - it’s super easy to make, really healthy and delicious!
Try our recipe below, it serves 4 people (as a starter) and takes roughly 45 minutes to make.
- Olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1.2L boiling water
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 100g dried red lentils, rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional soft bread, croutons, parsley or pumpkin seeds to serve
- Heat oil in the saucepan, add the chopped onions and cook until softened. Add the chopped carrots and butternut squash and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly soft
- Add the boiling water, stock cube, red lentils and some black pepper and stir. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables and lentils are cooked
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending using a hand-blender or food processor
- Garnish with parsley or pumpkin seeds and serve with crunchy croutons and your favourite fresh bread
Why not add a touch of decadence by serving in Ali's in fine bone china mugs and teacups? As you enjoy your soup, lose yourself in the playful designs, letting your mind wander to wherever the story takes you.